Monday, January 28, 2008

01/28/08 The passing of a great man

Well, today's post won't necessarily be as energetic as it could be. The reason for this happened last evening, when Gorden B. Hinckley passed away. Needless to say, it came as quite a shock, despite his age, for you grow to see a man like him as more than human, which I feel inclined to say is true. He was not just a man. He was mortal, yes, and he may have had his unseen faults, but in the end, he was no less than a man who walked with God. He carried on until the very end, those around him often saying how they couldn't keep up with him. Could this just be a man? No. I dare say not. And it strengthens my testimony to think of him, along side other great leaders of the church, united in this great Plan of Salvation. Now, I know that life will go on. Trials will present themselves. But there is strength in the knowledge that your goal is worth fighting for, and I hope that this may be another pillar of comfort in those times when it seems like all is lost.

It occurs to me that his death was not an unhappy one. Surrounded by family, I believe it was his time, and there is no doubt in my mind that he is keeping busy. The work of the Lord does not stop with death, and the work, both here in the life after, will continue. Let us all take courage in that knowledge.

2 comments:

Sariah said...

Very well said! That was beautifully written. Thank you. :)

Anonymous said...

1) I appreciate your testimony.

2) You have a gift for writing.