Friday, February 29, 2008

02/29/08 LEAP DAY

Come 365 days, this won't exist...

Anyhow, in reply to the comments...

It's a math course, which means I will not likely choose to major in it for college, no matter how things turn out. Also, yes. If I do, I will proceed to do another course if I can. After all, I wasn't supposed to start this one until next year, but I finished the last one half a year early. Anyway, I've slacked off for a year or two, so now I've got some catching up to do, let alone the constant urge that I feel to be ahead of everything else. Yeah. I wanna finish this stuff quickly.

And don't worry, Sariah, I've been beating myself up over the project too. Not getting far, but working on it.

That's roughly the comment segment, which is most of what composes my posts, so...

Story time!

A boy in his early youth, here meaning nine and a half, or ten as he would claim, ran down to the docks, excitement emanating from his eager frame as he watched the boat sail emerging from the horizon. Will's father was a fisherman, and so was often gone for extended periods of time, but every time he returned he would spend the day with him, doing anything from skipping rocks to camping out in the back yard. It wasn't really what they did that made it special, it was that they did it. It provided a chance for them to talk. About school, about sailing, it didn't matter. And one day, Will would go with his father on these trips, learning what he needed to take up the family trade. He knew a good deal already, of course, but his father had said that it would have to wait until he was older. For the ocean was a dangerous place, and while one day the sun can shine gloriously, the next may bring a storm that swallows ships with a cruel fury. Yet despite the stories of fierce deaths at sea, Will longed for the adventure of the open water. It was a rite of passage for him, something that he could always see, but not yet conquer.
As Will waited on the docks, the ship neared, causing small waves along the shore. He waved happily, but the wave was not returned. The man that had worked with his father for years seemed solemn, quiet...
The boat came up to the dock and was tied off, Will quickly rushing aboard and looking for his father. "He's not here..." Said Johny, usually bright brown eyes downcast as the boy looked at him in confusion. "What do you mean? Where is he?"
The sigh was the thing that made Will realize something was wrong. The quiet, almost silent regret filling the noise and portraying through it things that words could not.
"He's gone, Will. He won't be coming back..."

William Holland stood at the helm of the ship, eyes peering out at the crests of waves as his mind wandered back to that fateful day exactly nine years ago. Things were different now. He and mom had been forced to double their efforts while coping with loss. He had taken up several small jobs, likewise, she too found herself working several jobs in order to make ends meat. Thankfully, Johny had said that he would be able to take care of the business until Will was old enough to take on the responsibility. One day, Will thought, watching the ocean move continuously around him. How could one day change so much?


Not exactly what I was going for, but oh well. (I'm not sure if cheerful stories are in my ability to write....)

Uh... Ja mata!

1 comment:

Sariah said...

Well that was sad! It was written well, but it was sad! :(

Awhile ago I asked what color you painted your room... I'm waiting for an answer. :)

Did you say you ARE beating yourself up over the project or NOT beating yourself up over it. I hope it was NOT. ;)

Happy Leap Day!