Tuesday, July 28, 2009

07/28/09 Our dining room is cool...

So, today was devoted mostly to cleaning house. That being said, I found a most enlightening discovery. In a prior post, I had mentioned moving– say... what are those things? Not dressers... Not really cabinets, either... Anyway, I moved them into the dining room. Little did I know that there was a space between them that fit the table /perfectly/. So, when we want more space, we can move the table back to the wall, or even fold it up, depending on what we want. A very happy discovery. -nods- I took pictures. Mostly for Andrew, but they might make their way here, too. Now I just need to get them on the computer. (That's a tricky thing now-days.) So, today was nice. I'm not really sure how ready the house is for company, but it's much nicer than it's been in years, so I do believe I'll enjoy a moment of contentedness.

As for yesterday's post, I've decided that it's probably what a typical blog post from me looks like, anyway, so I'm afraid you'll have to decipher it yourself. It's truer this way, yes? I'd like to think of it that way.

Anyhow, I'm very happy to say that I've finally gotten around to organizing my sketches on the computer. More or less. Really, most of them needed some looking after. Fixing old sketches is a bit annoying, but the payout is nice. Now I don't feel as strongly about getting rid of them. Still, a lot of them are beyond help. The best I can do is say they were from my incompetent years. Still in those years, probably, but we're getting there.
And drawing is more for relaxation than for talent, I think. Somehow, drawing sketches takes my mind off things. It's like writing, only the details are more blended together, less reliant on external thought. I still worry about errors, but I can see the whole picture clearer than I can in writing, so I can still feel a measure of pride in it, despite imperfections. The plot is physical thing, rather than in writing, where it is expressed through a compilation of effort. With writing, you're more focussed on the moment, something I feel a great joy in. It let's you explore the deeper portions of a concept, without completely forsaking the big picture.

I suppose they each have their own qualities. And while I know now that I've been rambling, I can't help but feel like they compliment each other. An illustration captures a broad idea well, while a caption can be used to pinpoint certain aspects that may have otherwise gone unnoticed. I know I like reading better. It engulfs me. And yet, between writing and art, I'm not sure which one I prefer for myself. I am in no wise highly skilled in either one, but I still find a simple joy there. The thought of a clever phrase, or a well crafted stroke. Even if, in fact, the outcome leaves the audience in want of something better, the author still has that moment of happiness to look back on.

But anyway... Life is good. The house is improving. I suppose I better go get ready. Not sure what to expect from a visit with the Bishop and Stake President... Yep. So, I'll see you later!

1 comment:

Sariah said...

You've been working hard! I'd like to see some of your sketches. And I'm anxious to hear what this visit is all about! :)