Tuesday, August 4, 2009

07/03/09 RISK

So, ever since the game table in the family room was cleared off, I've been thinking about how it's a pretty good place for playing RISK. It's out of the way, we wouldn't need to use it regularly, so the game can be left out even when it's not being played, and the game fits fairly well on it. RISK is good. Takes forever though, which is why I'm thinking this area could come in handy.

I was excited about it, so yesterday, or today if you count this as the day I started writing this, I worked on an experiment to make set up time shorter. Basically, you draw a random territory, put a leader there with ten battalions, and do the same with all the other players, making sure that none of them are adjacent to each other. With the other 60 territories (for lord of the rings risk, that is), you put two neutral battalions that just defend. The test went fairly well, although the players started off pretty far apart from each other. I need to try a game where they're closer together, to get an idea if it would still work. Also, I found some nice places to put battalions. (The plastic bags are getting old, and I really don't like the idea of having all of the different pieces in the same pile.) A little set of drawers that go to a... tool thing? I don't know, I've been using it for ages, but never to hold tools or things like that. Anyway, the drawers are divided into three parts, which is just perfect for separating each teams' battalions. Much more convenient than the plastic bags.

Anyway, though. That's a work in progress.

I need to go to the library today, or tomorrow counting from when I started writing this. Maybe I should talk about that. Well, I was going to post yesterday, but while I was writing, mom came home from work. I said hi, she said that there was a letter from Andrew in the mail, so I spent a little while looking at that. Anyway, she needed to use the computer, and after that I was mostly working on dinner, so I didn't get back on the computer until now. That being said...

I'm running low on things to say. I've been working a lot in the garden. Yay! The weeds are still coming up, but the roots are easier to pull out now, so we might see some improvement later. And I really like our soil. It's starting to look nice. I should mow the lawn today, too.

Other that that, I really don't know if there's much else to say. Life is good. Andrew sent pictures, which we have to figure out how to put up with this crazy computer. They're really cool though. He took a couple pictures of the racetrack, and there's a picture from Kevin's baptism, and a bunch of other stuff. -nods-

I have to get around to writing. To Andrew, for scouts, all that rot. We'll see about that today, but it might be a little disappointing.

Well, I'm off. I might post later today, but there are things to do first. Without further adieu, I'll be on my way.

2 comments:

David said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
David said...

Another way to play RISK without it getting in the way and in a way that you don't have to finish in one sitting is at Games By Email. (OK it's not RISK due to trademark issues, but the game play is the same.