Monday, May 23, 2011

05-23-11 Of doves and scripture stories

So, this post will be a bit random, but I've got a few things I need to write down. First off, Sacrament Meeting was pretty nice this week. We had a youth speaker talk about the first article of faith, followed by a soon-to-be missionary and a recently returned missionary. All were pretty good, but there's one thing about the first talk that's been bouncing around in my head lately. This goes back a week or two when the Priest Quorum was learning about the Holy Ghost. Now, it's a subject that's fairly well known, but we got to go look at it from different angles. What is the Holy Ghost? We read a couple scriptures about times He's made an appearance, and a few of them mentioned Him descending in the form of a dove. Now, since we know he doesn't have a body of flesh and blood, (not to mention the fact that He's not a dove, he's a person) I've always thought that it was just talking figuratively. Still, a few of the scriptures seemed pretty clear about there being a dove. This is where Bro. McCord gave us an interesting idea to think about. I highly doubt that the dove was Him personally, but it could have been that the dove was sent as a sign, a sort of physical confirmation that He was there. I don't know, it's one of those things I know hardly anything about, so I'm just waiting to get to the other side and have it rolled out for me. Kind of like the whole Lamanite skin curse thing. It doesn't really matter to my personal salvation, and I'll get the answer eventually. I the meantime, though, I just figure if I don't go around shooting doves for no reason I should be alright.

The conversation did answer an interesting question though. It turns out that when people go around saying holy -insert inappropriate term relating to biological waste-, they're just talking about dove droppings. It all makes sense now.

Now, I'm not really one for the inappropriate humor, but if there are funny things you can find in the scriptures, I'm all there. (Makes you want to study more and see if you can find them. xD) There's this one story that Bro. Swenson told us about in seminary about his mission. In Taiwan, it can take a while to get used to the language, and some numbers especially sounded similar. So they were teaching this one investigator that was having a hard time accepting the commandments, thinking it was a lot to ask for right away. So, the missionaries recommended that they read 1 Nephi 3:7, which talks about the Lord providing a way to fufill His commandments. Or, that's what they thought they said. In reality, they accidentally said third, instead of first, making it 3 Nephi 3:7, and I'll let you figure it out on your own. Unfortunately, they uh... didn't hear back from that investigator again. Yeah... Hopefully that will be cleared up on the other side.

So uh... I'm relying heavily on dodo birds here. I figure if Heavenly Father made something like them, He must have a sense of humor. A course, they went extinct, so maybe He's changed His mind about some things... I'm gonna burn. It's a real shame too, I've always liked cold weather better.

Anyway, I should go. Hedge, could you wrap things up here?

#o -breaks fortune cookie-

"Never travel by plane over the Pacific." -flips it over- "4 8 15 16 23 42"

-squeak- -gets out keyboard- º'ºº''º'''ºº'–º'' -translation- Only turbulence chewing, cellphone safe– Snail!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . #o . . . . . . . __o"

1 comment:

Sariah said...

The missionary scripture mix up: LOL Oh, that is so not funny but IS funny!!! Oops!